How To Add Custom Words and Phrases to Your e-Sword Bible Dictionary in 3 Easy Steps
Want to expand your biblical language knowledge using the popular free Bible software e-Sword? Adding custom dictionaries and word lists can enhance your study, but the process is not always intuitive.
In this step-by-step guide, you'll learn how to easily import dictionaries, word lists, and phrases into e-Sword in just a few clicks. With some basic preparation, you can customize your Bible dictionary with specialized terms, original language definitions, and niche vocabulary tailored to your interests.
Whether you're a pastor looking to incorporate original Greek and Hebrew, a student wanting to learn biblical languages, or a layperson seeking deeper understanding, a customized dictionary makes e-Sword even more powerful for in-depth study. Read on to unlock this little-known feature today!
Step 1: Find or Create Your Custom Dictionary File
The first step is gathering or creating the content you want to add. There are a few options here:
- Use an existing dictionary file. Many specialty Bible dictionaries and word lists can be found online to download and import. Try searching for things like "original language Bible dictionary" or "biblical Greek/Hebrew lexicon." Sources like The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon have downloadable XML files ready for importing.
- Make your own list. You can create a simple text file with your own dictionary entries. Make each entry like this:
Word,Definition. For example:
Sheol,The underworld and resting place of the dead according to Hebrew tradition. Save your list as a .txt file.
- Export from a study Bible. Many study Bible apps or programs allow exporting custom notes and dictionaries. Study Bible platforms like Logos, Accordance, or WordSearch may enable you to export your notes or highlights for importing into e-Sword.
The key requirements are that your dictionary file must be in .txt format, with each entry on a new line in the Word,Definition format. Once you've tracked down or created your custom dictionary, it's time to import it!
Step 2: Import Your Dictionary File into e-Sword
e-Sword makes it easy to add your custom dictionary in just a few clicks:
- Open e-Sword and access the Dictionaries menu. Click "Add Dictionaries" and select "Import Dictionary Text File."
- Browse your computer and select the .txt dictionary file you want to import.
- Give the dictionary a title and click the Import button.
That's it! e-Sword will now process the text file and add all of your custom entries into the dictionary.
Here are some tips for the import process:
- The title you provide will be the dictionary name shown in your library. Name it something descriptive.
- Only .txt files are supported. Make sure your dictionary is properly formatted before importing.
- Larger files may take longer to import as e-Sword indexes each entry. Wait for the confirmation message to appear before closing the import window.
In just seconds, your custom dictionary will be ready to use! Now all those specialized terms and original language definitions are accessible right alongside your regular Bible dictionary.
Step 3: Using Your Enhanced Dictionary in e-Sword
Now comes the fun part: utilizing your enhanced e-Sword dictionary for deeper Bible study! Here are some ways to make the most of your imported word list or dictionary:
- Look up words instantly - When reading any Bible passage, simply highlight a word and open your dictionary to see any custom definitions you added. No more fumbling for references!
- Gain cultural context - Add words like talents, denarii, phylacteries etc. along with definitions describing the biblical cultural meaning and value. Quickly gain insight as you read.
- Understand original languages - If you import Greek/Hebrew lexicons, you can instantly view the original meanings of repeated words like "love," "know," "peace," etc. to unpack their nuance.
- Compare Bible translations - Add original words alongside definitions to compare translations and see where meanings may have shifted or been obscured.
- Master biblical terms - Make glossaries of key theological concepts, biblical figures, events, or important Hebrew/Greek words to quickly grasp their significance.
- Follow cross references - Use your dictionary to look up related terms and themes, following the connections between concepts as you study.
- Memorize vocabulary - Build word lists of new or difficult vocabulary to improve recall as you continually reference their definitions.
- Learn biblical languages - Use an imported lexicon to start learning meanings of Greek and Hebrew words in their original context.
The possibilities are endless! With some creativity, you can significantly expand your e-Sword dictionary to suit your study needs. Custom dictionaries make it easier to understand cultural context, see interconnections between concepts, and gain deeper insight from the original languages.
In just 3 quick steps, you can unlock this simple but powerful feature and enhance your e-Sword library. Whether you want to learn biblical Greek and Hebrew, understand theological concepts, compare translations, memorize terms quicker, or gain cultural context, importing a custom dictionary can transform your Bible study!
Thanks.. See you next